Frequently Asked Questions
Please tell us something about Lowkal Healthcare Pvt Ltd?
- Lowkal HealthCare Pvt Ltd is a Bangalore based calorie management company specializing in healthy foods to control blood sugar, especially sugar alternatives.
Why Sugar alternatives?
- Sugar is one of the culprits which cause obesity, and increase in blood sugar levels, ultimately resulting in Diabetics. Diabetics if not controlled can also cause damages to Liver, Kidney, eyesight etc. and can be fatal with heart attacks. In India, as per International Diabetes Federation (2013), 70 millions are diabetic and by 2030, it will cross 100 million.
How Lowkal Stevia is the most suitable alternative to sugar?
Lowkal Stevia does not contain sucralose and Aspartame which are feared as dangerous on consistent consumption.
- Secondly, Lowkal Stevia is made out of the finest Stevia leaves. Like how natural sugar is made out of sugar cane, Lowkal Stevia is made out of the extract of stevia leaves and is 300 times more sweeter than natural sugar, yet it´s calorie value is practically nil.
- This makes Lowkal Stevia as a safe proposition in place of natural sugar or any other alternatives.
- It helps to manage your calorie & glucose levels and keeps you healthy without any side effects.
I am a lay man, Please tell me about the success story of Stevia in other countries and how dependable is it?
- The plant Stevia rebaudiana has been used for more than 1,500 years by the Guarani peoples of South America; the leaves have been used traditionally for hundreds of years in both Brazil and Paraguay to sweeten local teas and medicines, and as a "sweet treat". The genus was named for Spanish botanist and physician Petrus Jacobus Stevus (Pedro Jaime Esteve 1500-1556) a professor of botany at the University of Valencia. In 1899, Swiss botanist Moises Santiago Bertoni, while conducting research in eastern Paraguay, first described the plant and the sweet taste in detail. The exact structure of the aglycone (steviol) and of the glycoside was published in 1955.
- Firm Morita Kagaku Kogyo Co., Ltd. in 1971. The Japanese have been using stevia in food products and soft drinks, (including Coca Cola), and for table use. Japan currently consumes more stevia than any other country, with stevia accounting for 40% of the sweetener market.
- In the mid-1980s, stevia became popular in U.S. natural foods and health food industries, as a non-caloric natural sweetener for teas and weight-loss blends. In May 2008, Coca Cola and Cargill announced the availability of Truvia, a consumer brand stevia sweetener containing erythritol and Rebiana, which the FDA permitted as a food additive in December 2008. Coca-Cola announced intentions to release stevia-sweetened beverages in late December 2008. From 2013 onwards, Coca, containing stevia as a sweetener, was launched in various countries around the world.
Where does it grow?
- Stevia plant is native to Paraguay and Brazil. Today it is grown in many other countries including India, Japan and China.
Why Stevia leaf is sweet?
- The Stevia leaf contains Steviol Glycoside in significant quantities, which gives the sweetness.
How is it different from sugar-free?
- It does not contain Aspartame & Sucralose.
What is the difference between Lowkal Stevia & Sugar-Free?
- Sugar-free products may contain artificial sweeteners where Lowkal Stevia is Natural.
What is the color of Lowkal Stevia?
- It’s off white in colour and in a fine granule form which dissolves in less than 30 seconds when tried in normal room temperature water. Easy to stir and consume.
Why Stevia is not very popular in India, why the awareness is low?
- The Indian Government has recently approved Stevia for larger distribution as a food product.
Who can use Lowkal Stevia?
- All individuals who are health conscious
- Obese and Overweight
Is Lowkal Stevia, a safe sugar alternative for a diabetic?
- Yes, it is safe for diabetic, because of its low calorie and glycemic value (Ability of any food product to get absorbed in blood stream as glucose).
Does Stevia control weight gain?
- Yes, you can control weight gain by replacing sugar with Stevia. Stevia has no calorific value unlike sugar.
Where to use Lowkal Stevia?
- You can replace sugar with Lowkal Stevia in all food & beverages and enjoy the sweetness without worries. It is heat stable, you can use for Payasam, kheer etc.
Is Lowkal Stevia, a medicine or a food item?
- It is a food that can keep you healthy and help prevent consumption of medicines in the future and it is approved by FSSAI (Regn. 11216302000228).
Are there any limits for the daily use of Lowkal Stevia?
How does it compare with sugar?
- Its leaf extract is 300 times sweeter than sugar. It adds negligible calories to food and thus knocks off 90% calories compared to table sugar.
Are Stevia products widely in use around the world?
- Yes. There has been an exponential growth in the consumption of Stevia products. Considering its value and high growth, there are multiple products being developed across the world. Technology and Social Media has played a major part in creating awareness and educating the people about the importance of Stevia. Hence the popularity of Stevia has increased exponentially.
Are Stevia products approved by doctors and dieticians?
Yes. Stevia sweeteners are given a green card by the highest regulatory bodies across the world. The following bodies are included:
- U. S Food & Drug Administration
- European Food Safety Authority
- Food & Agriculture Organization
- World Health Organization
- Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives
- Food Standards Australia/New Zealand
- French Agency for Food, Environmental & Occupational Health and Safety