It’s the festive season again all over ! Bakrid, dusshera , and many more lined up in the coming days. While we celebrate with devotion and joy, it is very important to not neglect health at any time !
Sweets are the main attractions during festivals, and unfortunately are also the ones that cause most concern when one is trying to maintain weight, or manage sugar levels.
Excessive sugar can damage cells, worsen sugar and cholesterol levels, cause dental decay and many more problem. A smart way of eating sweets and still avoiding excess sugar is to choose safer alternatives to sugar.
Healthy plant based sugar alternatives, such as Stevia , low calorie sweeteners, or natural sweeteners like dates, or alternate flavors like cinnamon, fruits, cardamom are all better ways of managing calories and sweetness !
Here are some healthy sugar free recipes for festive days using alternate flavors or sweeteners !
Low calorie snack / drink ideas:
Milk – 1 cup (100 ml, skimmed)
Whole wheat flakes or muesli – 2 tablespoons
Banana or apple – 1 small
Boil milk, add wheat flakes or muesli and soak for a few minutes. After milk cools down, add fruit and blend in mixer. Refrigerate if desired.
70 gms wheat flour
1 tablespoon corn flour paste
Eggs 3 no (whites only)
250 ml skimmed milk
Oil for frying
- Place all the pancake ingredients in a liquidizer or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Alternatively, mix all the flours in a bowl; make a well in the center.
- Beat the eggs add milk gradually to the flour, beating to make smooth batter.
- Place a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Spray with oil spray or add few drops of oil.
- Pour in enough batter to coat the pan thinly and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown on the underside
- Turn the pancake and cook the other side for 30-60 seconds.
- Turn out on a plate, cover and keep warm while you make the other pancakes.
Serve with any of the fillings below.
- Apple puree
- Sliced mango
- Sliced peaches
EXOTIC FRUIT SALAD
Apple 1 no.
Orange 1 no.
Raisins 2 tbsp soaked in 2 tbsp water.
Whipped cream, to serve
- Cut apple and pineapple in cubes.
- Peel oranges and separate into segments.
- Cut grapes into half and remove the seeds.
- Add the soaked raisins and their liquid.
- Add all the fruits in a bowl mix well.
- Serve the fruit salad with the whipped cream.
FRUIT WITH YOGHURT Good Source of Calcium also
Yoghurt (curd, made from skim milk) 150 gms
Fresh or stewed fruit 125 gms
(Ex. Mango apple, strawberry)
Almonds (Toasted and flaked) 1tbsp
Lowkal Stevia 1 teaspoon
- Spoon half of the yoghurt into a dish Stir in Lowkal Stevia.
- Top with half of the fruit followed by another layer of yoghurt.
- Top with the remaining fruit and nuts.
Chopped dried apricot 75 gms
Large oranges 2
Pine apple/ Orange/ Apple juice 300 ml
Seedless grapes/ Strawberries 125 gms
Watermelon/ Melon 1 large slice
- Mix apricots with fruit juice in a large bowl and leave to soak while preparing the
- Peel and segment the oranges, and cut each segment in half if large.
- Cut the strawberries into half or any large grapes if using.
- Remove the seeds and skin form the watermelon and cut the flesh into bite-sized cubes. Stir all the
fruits into the apricots and juice mixture.
- Just before serving, peel and slice the banana and add to the rest of the fruit. Stir gently to mix.
Medium sized carrots – 10
Milk (skimmed) – 3 cups
Almonds or cashewnuts – a few
Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Lowkal Stevia – 1 teaspoon
Cardamom and cinnamon powder for flavoring
Cut carrots into smaller pieces. Blend the carrots in a mixer till smooth. Roast the carrots lightly in ghee. Boil milk and add carrots and cook till soft. Add almonds, flavorings and boil for 2 more minutes. Stir in Lowkal Stevia. Garnish with cardamom and cinnamon and chopped almonds.
Milk – half liter
Lowkal Stevia – 2 teaspoons
Almonds – few
Rice – ¼ cup
Cardamoms and cinnamon – 2 teaspoons
Soak rice in water for 2 to 3 hours. Drain water and dry thoroughly. Place it in mixer and blend till finely powdered. Bring milk to boil, add powdered rice , almonds and stir continuously for 15 minutes till thick. Remove from heat, add Lowkal Stevia , cardamom and cinnamon. Decorate with chopped or grated almonds. Refrigerate before serving.